The Danish players will travel to the World Cup without their families, local media reported on Tuesday. The Danish Football Association (DBU) wants to minimize activities in Qatar to protest against the country’s human rights record.
“We don’t want to help create profits for Qatar”DBU communications manager Jakob Hoyer told the newspaper Ekstra Bladet. “Therefore, we have reduced our travel activities as much as possible. »“In previous (final stages of the World Cup), the players’ wives and girlfriends traveled with the board, but like I said, we canceled those trips for (those finals). »
The Danish FA has also reduced travel to Qatar for its board members, local media reported last week. Each of them will only be able to attend one Denmark match, while no more than two board members can attend any of their matches.
Denmark kick off their World Cup campaign on November 22 against Tunisia.