entertainment

Bill Cosby sued for sexual assault under New York’s new rollback law, following similar lawsuit filed by 5 accusers

CN—

A woman who says she was sexually assaulted by sitcom star and comedian Bill Cosby is suing him for sexual assault after five other women sued him in early December, according to a lawsuit filed last Friday.

The lawsuit, filed in New York Supreme Court, alleges plaintiff Stacey Pinkerton was sexually assaulted by Cosby in 1986 when she was 21.

According to the lawsuit, Cosby used his power and influence to “groom and sexually assault” Pinkerton, who was pursuing a career in modeling and working as a flight attendant at the time. The complaint alleges that Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her when they had dinner under the guise of advancing her career in the media industry.

In another instance, months later, Cosby invited Pinkerton to a performance at the Chicago Theater and forcefully kissed and touched her without her consent, the lawsuit says.

Cosby “engaged in the same or similar behavior” with his other victims, according to the suit, by expressing an interest in advancing their careers as a means of drugging and sexually assaulting them.

‘The Cosby Show’ star was sentenced to 3 to 10 years in prison in 2018 on drug and sexual assault charges against another woman, but was released in 2021 after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned his conviction for sexual assault.

Pinkerton is also suing NBC, Kaufman Astoria Studios and Carsey-Werner Company – the companies that handled the Cosby Show – for negligence and negligent hiring, supervision and retention.

NBC, Carsey-Werner and Kaufman Astoria did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Pinkerton has publicly accused Cosby of sexual assault in the past, but his lawsuit comes after the passage of a New York law that gives adult survivors of sexual assaults a year to sue their perpetrators, even though the limitation period for their claims has expired.

Five women filed a lawsuit against Cosby earlier in December under the New York Adult Survivors Act.

“She filed this lawsuit to hold him accountable and defend herself and others, and New York law now allows her and other adults to file this lawsuit against offenders and those who allowed this to happen,” Pinkerton’s attorney Jeff said. Anderson said in a phone call with CNN.

In a statement to CNN, Cosby’s press representative denied all charges in the lawsuit.

“We believe the courts, as well as the court of public opinion, will follow the rule of law and clear Mr. Cosby of these alleged charges. Mr. Cosby continues to vehemently deny all allegations against him and looks forward to defending himself in court,” Andrew Wyatt wrote.

Cosby’s attorney, Jennifer Bonjean, told CNN over the phone that New York’s new law is “going down a dangerous path.”

“We’re not totally surprised that when the New York State Legislature decided to abolish the statute of limitations, it was going to lead to a number of outdated claims being revived,” Bonjean told CNN. “Our position is that the law is unconstitutional because it revives claims long barred by the statute of limitations, and it sets a very dangerous precedent, legally speaking, and not just in the context of ancient assaults. ”

Source: www.cnn.com

Source : BBNWORLDNEWS

Related posts
entertainment

9 Weirdest Moments at the Golden Globes

entertainment

Justin Bieber once cheated on Selena Gomez with Rihanna, leaving her devastated!

entertainmentMovie Reviews

M3gan (2022): Movie Reviews

entertainmentMovie Reviews

Last Tango in Paris (1972): Film Reviews

Sign up for our Newsletter and
stay informed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *